by Andrew Summersgill, M.D.
Before taking shots of tPA, don’t forget your CHASER: a mnemonic for when NOT to give tPA in Stroke/MI patients:
- C: Cancer
- H: Hemorrhagic stroke in past. Hypertension>180/>110*
- A: Aortic dissection, AV malformations
- S: Stroke (ischemic within the last 3 months). Sugar (glucose 400mg/dL )*
- E: Exsanguination/active bleeding
- R: Relative contraindications
This is a quick outline to consider before pushing lytics. There is overlap between these two subsets, and obviously the list is more comprehensive, so be sure to look up the latest guidlines.
*stroke specific (ischemic, hemorrhagic, etc)